Safeguard Your Home & Save On Your Premium
Taking steps to install mitigation features to your home, such as securing your roof and protecting windows from flying debris, can help fortify it against damage caused by hurricanes and severe weather events. Being proactive in the protection of your home may qualify you for discounts on your premium.
What are Hurricane mitigation features?
Hurricane mitigation features refer to structural elements that protect your home in the event of a storm.
What mitigation features offer a discount?
• Roof Construction & Roof Cover – Verification that the roof has been built in accordance with current FL Building Codes (FBC) and the type of roof cover such as shingle, tile, metal, or other roof cover.
• Roof Deck Attachment – How your roof is attached with the specific size and spacing of nails or screws to roof sheathing.
• Roof to Wall Connection- The materials and method used to attach your roof with clips or wraps to prevent the roof from being blown off by high winds.
• Roof Shape – The specific shape such as a Hip Roof Shape which is defined as a roof sloping down to meet all your outside walls, like a pyramid. This hip shape is more wind resistive.
• Secondary Water Resistance (SWR) – Use of a self-adhering layer of protection between the shingles and the plywood sheathing that protects the home from water intrusion if the roof covering blows off.
• Reinforced Concrete Roof Deck – Type of concrete roof decking primarily seen in condominium buildings and commercial buildings.
• Opening Protection – Home features that meet certain building code standards and make your home safer. These items include hurricane storm shutters/panels or doors and windows designed to withstand wind pressure as well as projectiles.
How do I take advantage of these discounts?
To be eligible, documentation is required. A licensed professional must inspect the home and identify potential mitigation measures and legally verify them. You can also apply for a free Home Hurricane Wind Mitigation Inspection through My Safe Florida Home Program https://mysafeflhome.com/ to verify these improvements.
What does the credit apply towards?
Hurricane mitigation discounts reduce the hurricane/wind portion of your premium only.
How do I know if I qualify for credits?
Contact your agent to find out if potential wind mitigation features or if an inspection would benefit you.