Following past hurricanes and other natural disasters, we have been alerted to fraudulent contractors pretending to work with insurance carriers in the affected areas. Be aware, there are dishonest contractors attempting to take advantage of and target homeowners.
Tips to Avoid Fraud
- Do not sign documents until you have spoken with your insurance agent or Cypress Property & Casualty Insurance Company.
- If an unfamiliar contractor has knocked on your door telling you your home is damaged, or if you believe you have damage contact us immediately.
- Many of these scammers begin with an unsolicited text message, a flyer, or a knock on your door with the promise of a free roof inspection. They may ask you to sign a contract preventing you from having control of your claim and receiving the quality service and workmanship you deserve.
- Assignment of Benefits and/or Direction to Pay contracts are not necessary to get your claim promptly and professionally handled.
Steps to Take Following a Loss to avoid Assignments of Benefits (AOB) fraud
Follow these steps to avoid being taken advantage of by unscrupulous contractors, roofers and mitigation companies:
- Report your loss to Cypress at 1-877-560-5224. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Call your insurance agent.
- Never sign a contract you have not read or one that you do not understand.
- Ask Cypress to refer you to a trusted vendor to assist you with any repairs.